TED Talk- Typefaces

In my spare time, I enjoy researching my interests by watching TED talks. Most times I search for talks with prior intentions but end up watching videos that are slightly unrelated to my original search.

This happened last night. I was relaxing with a glass of wine ready to enjoy sessions on technology and education when Matthew Carter's talk "My life in typeface" popped up. As I thought to myself...hmm, fonts and how they're created, that seems interesting...I like to use different fonts based on my clients and products.

So I watched it, but gained a new perspective when I listened to his story. At the 3:05 mark it gets interesting.

He begins by admitting that "I as a designer I did feel the influence of technology...it kind of determined the proportions of the design." This struck a cord with me because as a designer we are only limited to the technology we have to design with or more importantly how our customer will view the course or modules. Let's continue.

At 4:59 is when a bomb is dropped: "The question is, does a constraint force a compromise? By accepting a constraint, are you working to a lower standard? I don't believe so, and I've always been encouraged by something that Charles Eames said. He said he was conscious of working within constraints, but not of making compromises. The distinction between a constraint and a compromise is obviously very subtle, but it's very central to my attitude to work."

I knew there was a difference between the two words, but never associated the difference with an attitude.. Would I be compromising my style or creativity because of a constraint?

Prior to this talk I would probably say yes, now I'd say no way. In fact, I'd tell you that creativity grows when constraints exist. Think about it, you're constrained to a grocery budget so you have to get creative with your cooking. You're constrained to a particular family member's house during the holidays so you get creative in how to enjoy yourself.

Constraints yield creativity to some extent. I work with constraints everyday, more so than the private sector, but I take it as a challenge to create something that still lives up to my standards and gives the customer what they want.

Carter goes on the say "there is a certain kind of satisfaction in doing something that cannot be perfect but can still be done to the best of your ability."

This holds true in my line of work. I ask myself could I have made it more interactive, had better color choices, enhanced transitions, or even a better font choice... well of course I could but the constraints wouldn't allow it.

Whenever I complete a project, I reflect on what can be done better next time or what new resources I should use.

And I think that's the point... to always give your best when you can, and then reflect on how to make yourself and the product better.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You should totes follow me!

I'm on island time!

Welcome to EME6414