You should totes follow me!

Have you ever just been so overwhelmed with stuff? Like it's literally everywhere and won't stop piling up?


That's how I initially felt when I entered my first Twitter chat today. I was just there to observe and see how it works but my goodness!! I felt like I needed to have my phone updating the feed, then have two or three desktop windows open to click on other hashtags, look at profiles, post, and another window to find GIFS because apparently that's a thing on Twitter chats... who knew?

But with all things in life, I just went with the flow. I stopped worrying about EVERY post and started reading the repetitive tweeters, I'd stop at random spots to slowly scroll when the feed became too much, and of course anything that the host posted I took notice of. 

While this may not be the best tactic as a chat host, because you really should be paying attention to more than a few people, it worked for me as an observer with zero experience. Eventually, I took my time and didn't take on too much at once. I started to recognized trends and this not only improved my experience, but then I realized what I was experiencing was very similar to my development as an instructional designer.

When I first started designing about a year ago, I had no idea what I was doing. I had background knowledge of curriculum and teaching, but my skills and application were basic at best. But practice makes perfect right?

Eventually, I realized that it's OK to take things slow sometimes, unless you're under a strict deadline and then you better get it done. I accepted the fact that my first attempts at design would be messy, but I knew my second, third, fourth, or fifteenth attempt would look better than the one before. 

I reached out to experienced designer and stepped out of my comfort zone. I submerge myself within the ID world in order to get better.

And that's what I will continue to do on my journey with Twitter. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that even though I had no idea was what going on today from a operational stand point, I will continue to immerse myself into other Twitter chats and connect within my communities to eventually become proficient and possibly even host a chat in the future?


I want to hear from you: If you were to attend a Twitter chat, what topics would you want to learn about? What things would you be able to teach others about? Leave a comment or tweet me @rksimms. 









Comments

  1. If I set it all up right, I archived the chat today. Let me know if you want to see the archive -- happy to share it. Perhaps I'll post it for the whole class to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be a great resource for the future. Thank you for saving that. I also made a list of the questions and popular answers.. may use that for another idea I have brewing.

      Delete
    2. Vanessa, it would be great if you could post the archive. Would love to see it!

      Delete
  2. Hi Becky, sounds chaotic and fascinating! Thanks for sharing your experiences! I sometimes feel overwhelmed like that in group chats as well. I've been in a few with classmates and the gif storm can turn from fun to pure madness very quickly! Looking forward to trying a twitter chat out for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Alexis,

      Group chats are a great comparison. I'm currently in a group chat with 7 bridesmaids... I'll sometimes wake up to 50+ text... that feeling of reading through all of them or the dings when a new one comes in is similar to how I felt at first in the Twitter chat.

      I'd love for you to tag me @rksimms in the next chat that you try! I'd be curious to see if the GIF trend really is a thing :)

      Delete
  3. Hello!

    First of all, I'm a little jealous of your blog making skills. Even my personal one, which I spent a ridiculous amount of time on, is still so basic. I love the way yours looks!

    Also, I'm glad you decided to write about your adventure with Twitter chat. I did the #lrnchat later that same night. My initial reaction: "Ayyy! What is happening here?!" I also did exactly what you did - I had my phone buzzing with alerts and all three of my monitors open to different Twitter pages. I didn't realize how quickly we needed to respond. Talk about thinking on your feet!

    But after the first two questions, I kind of got the hang of it, actually wanted to join another one, and amazingly enough, found an odd sense of connectedness that I didn't realize existed on Twitter.

    I'm glad to know we all have each other to explore these networks. I use Facebook and IG all the time, but working through all of this together has already shifted my mindset about Twitter. Glad to know we had similar experiences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could "like" this post I would! Exploring together within our network (or community...I'm still debating what it could be defined as for this class) has been much more enjoyable than doing it alone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm on island time!

Welcome to EME6414