New Year, New Job?

It's a new year, and that means it's time to set goals to become a better person. While many will give up or make excuses for not keeping up with their new found aspirations, no is NOT an option for me.

My personal goals range from traveling more, exploring new places, and increase my skills in the kitchen...but it's my professional goals that somewhat intimidate me. But if your goals don't intimidate you are they really worth achieving?


Here's my point: I'm coming to the end of my graduate studies, and that scares the heck out of me. My goal is to have a new job by the time I graduate in Summer. This means I need to get myself together in 5-6 short months if I hope to have something lined up come August.

Here are two major goals I am working towards to have any type of chance of landing a new job.

1. Add to my portfolio 


This is where coffee/espresso comes in! I have the website. I have the pages and navigation set up. I have sample work from my studies and performance support pieces. But the one thing that remains undone is adding more eLearning examples.

My ultimate career goal is to obtain a position creating eLearning experiences for companies or businesses that are innovative, fast pace, and allow me to experiment with new technology and design when appropriate. 

I would love to put samples from my current position out there on the interweb, but seeing as I work in state government that isn't always an option. To overcome this obstacle, I've been looking for inspiration and I found that E-Learning Heros has weekly challenges. These mini samples would be a great way to show off my design and engagement skills! 


2. Reflect on who I am as a professional

I took a webcast (ya'll know how much I love webinars/webcast) from ATD titled Ace the Interview. This hour long session gave such valuable advice that would make anyone stand out to potential employers for all the right reasons. 

The take away for me was to identify a unique selling point that would set me apart from the competition along with tips on how to answer basic questions from the interviewers perspective and the reason why they would ask certain questions related to my skills and background. 

This item on my list is what I'm most looking forward to because I can organize this information into an Excel spreadsheet, and the OCD side of me will be happy, happy, happy!

What professional goals do you have that scare you? Have you made a plan or written them down? Let me know by leaving a comment :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You should totes follow me!

I'm on island time!

Welcome to EME6414