The Value of Research

As an instructional designer in an ever changing world, you have to keep up with the trends and shifts in learning otherwise your skill set will become replaceable.

I'm not saying jump on the bandwagon of the latest trends blindly, but instead do research to determine how it would help improve learning and when it would be appropriate to execute.

One thing I really love to do is research. But I'm not talking about literature reviews of some fifty page thesis that describes the methodology for twenty of those pages. I'm talking about concise, to-the-point articles, videos, or infographics. I could spend all day and explore down rabbit holes until I have a conceptual grasp of something. But what makes me a good researcher, is I can do it quickly. And in a fast pace world, that is critical.

To be innovative, research is key. I suggest you talk to others within the field and find out what they are doing, how has it worked for their companies, and what lessons learned did they uncover.

It's all about getting out of your box, and exploring the (somewhat) unknown. 


Research also includes networking (via online or in person) with others in the field. A valuable lesson I learned in undergrad was to surround myself with people that will teach me something and allow me to grow.

I watch and listen to seasoned professionals talk at conferences or via webcast, I discuss with professors about implementation results of trends such as gamification, or converse with peers that inspire and encourage me such as Devlin Peck because he takes risks.

In summary, research is the opportunity to explore innovative and different ideas that could increase your skill set, thus making you an even more valuable designer.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You should totes follow me!

I'm on island time!

Welcome to EME6414