Work Your Own Lane and Champion Others

As you may know, inspiration comes from many places at random times, and I'm a firm believer that it doesn't happen by accident; timing is everything!

Today I was watching and listening to my church's live webcast, Upward and Outward-Part 2, because let's get real... I have to ease back into reality after a week long vacay. This was ideal for me because I'm still on beach time and woke up too late to drive. But any who.. so I was watching my pastor preach about Romans 12 and finding our Godly gift.



Some have the gift of teaching, creating, speaking, etc. What really spoke to me as when he said that "you have to start taking shots to figure out what you're gift is."

"JUST DO IT" as Nike would say. To me this means to explore new places, people, ideas, and environments. Take a step into the unknown and see what happens. And while doing so, supporting others on their journey because you shouldn't focus on yourself and your achievements all the time.

As of now, I believe my gifts are creating and teaching and that aligns wonderfully with this whole instructional design thing.

Each class I take, tool I use, or process to develop a project refines my gifts. My favorite part has been discovering and working with tools, particularly social media apps to promote learning.

These tools (Snapchat, Instagram, Reddit, and Pinterest are my favorite) are allowing me to become a better curator of knowledge. At the same time, I am championing others in their journey too by giving a like, retweet, or reply. This communication is creating a community of designers that are not only working on themselves but encouraging others.

The best part though...as a designer I get to make materials for people to learn from and improve on their gifts be that as a leader, encourage, of giver.

Throughout this graduate experience, I hope to use my gifts to be an innovator in the world of instructional design.

I challenge you to think about your gifts!

What do you think they are? If you don't know, what "shots" do you think you should take to figure them out? How do you think your talents would help you in the ID field?


Comments

  1. Great outlook! I love the positivity in this post! I think it's a great idea to stop and take stock of one's gifts. It sounds like yours are wonderful for this field! I consider one of my gifts to be a natural curiosity that has and will help me as I progress through the program and into the ID field. I love that a big part of ID is searching for ways to improve (teaching, instruction, performance, etc) and my constant curiosity has me always on the lookout for new solutions (and new challenges!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great outlook! I love the positivity in this post! I think it's a great idea to stop and take stock of one's gifts. It sounds like yours are wonderful for this field! I consider one of my gifts to be a natural curiosity that has and will help me as I progress through the program and into the ID field. I love that a big part of ID is searching for ways to improve (teaching, instruction, performance, etc) and my constant curiosity has me always on the lookout for new solutions (and new challenges!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curiosity is a great gift! I'm going to guess that you have more on the side of innovators and early adopters? The website below explains.

      https://www.boundless.com/marketing/textbooks/boundless-marketing-textbook/products-9/the-spread-of-new-products-73/applying-the-diffusion-of-innovation-theory-369-10586/

      I think that's important to be curious especially when software products and learning mediums are always evolving.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You should totes follow me!

Welcome to EME6414

I'm on island time!